-Vincent Van Gogh
Springboard addresses socio-economic discrimination and difficulties that women of immigrant background face in Norway particularly as they relate to securing employment or growing their own businesses. We plan to expose this largely unaddressed norm that disempowers immigrant women and keeps them from participating in society and creating value.
This exclusion from society further exacerbates their livelihoods, as well as emotional and social wellbeing, thereby negatively affecting their sense of self-worth and usefulness in society. Herein, we will engage the stakeholders through a series of events, such as workshops, seminars, and conferences and public discussions to find actionable solutions to the social exclusion. Simultaneously, we will provide women with the tools, skills and network they need to succeed either in finding work or in starting their own businesses
Women encounter varying degrees of discrimination on the grounds such as gender, race, religion, ethnicity, sexual preference or socio-economic position. In Norway today, many immigrants (women and men alike) believe that they are unlikely to secure skilled work regardless of their academic attainment and professional experience. They often attribute this to their race, ethnicity, religion, language barrier and the perception of being “the other” or foreign.
This belief continues to be the trend and has now become the status quo, as newly arrived immigrant women learn that their opportunities are limited. In turn, their perceived limitations become a self-fulfilling prophecy. We will break down limits internalized by Springboard participants, based on their perceived restrictions or those ascribed by the societies or households in which they exist.
What We Will Do
The primary goal of this project is to provide a dialogue and training platform where immigrant women can speak freely and without judgment about the problems they face both socially and economically. This project seeks to not only highlight existing problems but also find actionable solutions by engaging with stakeholders across social and economic sectors. Through this series of events, we aim to facilitate competence development, business understanding and strengthened self-esteem for immigrant women in Oslo and Norway at large.
The result we want to achieve is to create more dialogue, visibility, job opportunities, and socio-economic empowerment for female immigrants and minorities in Norway. In so doing, we hope to break barriers, create networks and enable employment opportunities that will empower women.
- Identify & engage stakeholders (i.e. needs, priorities)
- Transfer needs and priorities to measurable goals
- Map out ecosystem & stakeholder experience
- Establish service concepts & actionable metrics
- Pinpoint deliverables & enable attainment processes
- Collect relevant data (i.e. from surveys, feedback forms, interviews & focus groups)
- Facilitate skill & network building sessions
- Initiate implementation & evaluation channels
- X number of companies & jobs created by & for participants
- Strengthened networks, visibility, self-worth & opportunities for participants
- Continued support, monitoring & evaluation of corresponding processes
- Complete a research based & solution driven White Paper
How Springboard Works
How Springboard Works
- You identify as female and are 18 – 55 years of age.
- You identify as being immigrant, minority, or expatriate in Norway.
- You have a burning desire to attain socio-economic independence as well as personal and/or professional growth for yourself and/or family.
- You have an interest in starting your own company, and you may even already have a business idea.
- You have strong business acumen and have either formal (academic) or informal (vocational) education.
- You possess at least one or more of the following: a willingness to make a positive contribution in society; strong business drive; and an entrepreneurial spirit.
WHO YOU ARE
Female, 18 – 55 years of age, and identify as being immigrant or from a minority group.
Self-starter, energetic, ambitious and eager to improve your professional and personal life.
Have an interest in starting your own company and may already have a business idea.
Can commit a minimum of 16 hours to learn, network, and gain the skills you need to thrive.
WHAT YOU GET
Over 16 hours of learning that includes, business skills acquisition, mentoring & networking.
Build business basics & understand the legal & financial implications.
Increase your network & opportunities. Learn from experts & experienced entrepreneurs.
Contribute to deepening & expanding the understanding of integration & inclusion in Norway.
Applications for Springboard 2018 are closed. Workshops have been successfully completed. Join our mailing list here to be notified of our programs and workshops next year.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list and to stay updated on new posts published. We promise we won’t spam your inbox 🙂
|Workshop||Practical implementation and guidance||4|
|Mentoring||Individual Mentoring and Feedback||2|
|Conference||Information sharing, lessons learned, impact and way forward||1|
October 12, 2018
November 17, 2018
Springboard – Panel Discussion
November 19, 2018
November 21, 2018
November 22, 2018
November 28, 2018
November 29, 2018
Individual Mentoring Begins
December 3, 2018
Springboard - Panel Discussion
Speakers, Mentors & Facilitators
Founder, Mettle Consult
Project Director, with expertise in Entrepreneurship, Business Strategy & Market Research.
Co-founder & CMO, Vipicash AS
Speaker & Mentor, with expertise in Marketing, Business Development & Market Validation.
Founder, Rex Pharma Services
Mentor, with expertise in Business Idea Generation, Validation & Design Thinking.
Mentor, with expertise in Website Development, User Experience, Digital Footprint & Marketing.
Founder, Ikigai & Designer, Charge
Speaker & Mentor, with expertise in Concept Validation, Product Development & Design.
Founder, Gilbert & Partners
Mentor, with expertise in Business Strategy, Risk Analysis, Finance, Law & Insurance.
Robin Klein Schiphorst
Lead Service Designer, Idean
Mentor, with expertise in Service Design, User Experience & Leadership for Effective Business Launch.
Aukje van der Heide
Speaker, with expertise in Entrepreneurship & Business Development.
Analyst with expertise in Social Entrepreneurship, Business Development & Sustainability.